Monday, April 25, 2005

Frankly, Mr Shankly

Yesterday was a good day, but today I’m wading through the fog rather. I don’t know whether I shall blog while I am away, we’ll have to see. Today I have been trying get organised, which is never easy for me and also recording a tape for us to listen to during our journey down south. During this task I discovered my favourite song of the moment which is Every Day I Love You Less And Less by the Kaiser Chiefs. As soon as I heard it, I loved it, which is a rare event. It may just be today as it is rather irreverent. Download it. Go on. It’ll only cost you 79p and it may bring you a great deal of pleasure. It may not, but isn't it worth the gamble?

Other things I downloaded for our journey included Peaches by The Presidents of the United States of America. I always loved that song, it was one of the theme tunes to my early adolescence. I also recorded Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division, Another Girl, Another Planet by The Only Ones and Have You Ever Fallen In Love With Someone You Shouldn’t Have Fallen In Love With? by the Buzzocks. Oh yeah and Frankly Mr Shankly by the Smiths. That one I would buy the album, but I can't afford to just now. I love that lyric. One of my biggest regrets about my chronic unemployment is that I have never had a job from which I could resign, playing that particular track over the tanoy. I shall copy the lyric at the bottom of this entry.

I don’t spend a fortune downloading, but I have a long list of songs I want where I have no intention of buying the album. Every now and again I download the equivalent of an album’s worth, usually from iTunes which is easier to navigate than anywhere else. I listen to most of my music through my computer. Couldn’t justify the expense of an MP3 player as I don’t move about that much.

I have a feeling as I'm typing this that none of this makes sense.

BTW one of my archives has a Googlejack with "Sandsend" and "cogniscient". That's cause I mispelt cognoscente in some bizarre manner and Sandsend is a place name. I am still searching for my very own Googlewhack. Does anyone know what the heck I'm talking about?

Anyway, Frankly, Mr Shankly by the Smiths (from The Queen Is Dead)

Frankly, Mr. Shankly, this position I've held
It pays my way, and it corrodes my soul
I want to leave, you will not miss me
I want to go down in musical history

Frankly, Mr. Shankly, I'm a sickening wreck
I've got the 21st century breathing down my neck
I must move fast, you understand me
I want to go down in celluloid history, Mr. Shankly

Fame, Fame, fatal Fame
It can play hideous tricks on the brain
But still I'd rather be Famous
Than righteous or holy, any day
Any day, any day

But sometimes I'd feel more fulfilled
Making Christmas cards with the mentally ill
I want to live and I want to Love
I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of

Frankly, Mr. Shankly, this position I've held
It pays my way and it corrodes my soul
Oh, I didn't realise that you wrote poetry
I didn't realise you wrote such bloody awful poetry, Mr. Shankly

Frankly, Mr. Shankly, since you ask
You are a flatulent pain in the arse
I do not mean to be so rude
Still, I must speak frankly, Mr. Shankly

Oh, give us your money!

No comments: